Participants will discuss past, present and potential future cultural competency practices and/or experiences. Attendees will consider messages received regarding differences and determine how this experience might influence current thinking. A comprehensive view of diversity dimensions will be shared. Participants will review several aspects of diversity, both within groups and across groups. Existing diversity in one’s environment will be explored. Participants will consider communication styles of several generational groups. A description of microaggressions and the impact of these actions will be shared. Attendees will conclude the day with a personal plan for continued growth in this area.
During this course participants will:
1. Identify how past experiences have affected current thinking regarding: (1) gender, (2) age, (3) race, (4) sexual orientation, and (5) religion.
2. Identify: (1) primary, (2) secondary, (3) organizational and (4) cultural aspects of cultural competency using Loden, Gardenschwartz and Rowe’s illustration.
3. Review Peter Bell’s model of Interpersonal Styles and consider implications for application to clients regarding (1) acculturated, (2) bi-cultural, (3) culturally immersed and (4) traditional identities.
4. Complete and discuss the Diversity Within The Environment Inventory.
5. View a Microaggressions video and apply concepts to personal experiences.
6. Design a personal plan for continued cultural competency growth.
This course offers 6.0 CEUs. A certificate of attendance will be provided after the training is complete.